One of the most important elements of MNN’s mission is to advocate for policies that support Massachusetts nonprofits and against those that make it more difficult for nonprofits to pursue their charitable mission.
To achieve these ends, MNN works with legislators and public policy makers to educate them and garner their support. MNN also works with nonprofits across the state to involve them in these efforts through education, training and communications at critical points in the legislative process.
MNN focuses on key legislative issues that impact nonprofits. Currently, MNN is working on several state legislative priorities including promoting retirement plans for nonprofits, a Massachusetts nonprofit legislative caucus, and better health care options for nonprofit employees. At the national level, we are joining national nonprofit associations and government leaders to work on promoting awareness and support for the nonprofit sector and to prevent added regulatory burdens. Please see our State and Federal priorities pages for more information, or see what MNN has already helped with on our Past Accomplishments page.
Nonprofit employees can be a powerful voice for the sector and the clients they serve, particularly when working together. Knowing what is allowed under the law reveals that there is ample opportunity to advocate for critical changes that impact nonprofits.
The following resources provide you with information about lobbying and advocacy for nonprofits:
- Center for Lobbying in the Public Interest
- Massachusetts Secretary of the Commonwealth Lobbyist Section
- Current Elected Officials
Contact your public officials
- United States Congressman Richard Neil (1st)
- United States Congressman James McGovern (2nd)
- United States Congresswoman Niki Tsongas (3rd)
- United States Congressman Joseph Kennedy III (4th)
- United States Congressman Edward Markey (5th)
- United States Congressman John Tierney (6th)
- United States Congressman Michael Capuano (7th)
- United States Congressman Stephen Lynch (8th)
- United States Congressman William Keating (9th)
What policy makers are saying about us
“The nonprofit sector and the organizations and people associated with it are the backbone of Massachusetts.”
- Stan Rosenberg, Senate President Pro Tem
“Every day, nonprofits in Massachusetts make a difference in our state, enriching the lives of our children, our families and our communities. I want to thank the Massachusetts Nonprofit Network for its commitment to the growth and success of these terrific groups.”
- Robert DeLeo, House Speaker